BrandBucket released some interesting sales data for 2016. On their blog they shared the news that they sold 1017 domain names and a whole lot more:
Overall Domain Name Sales
- 1017 domain names sold
- $3070 average sale price
- $2295 median sale price
Our average price continues to go up year-over-year, and even with more high-value sales than ever, the median sale price of $2295 (half of the sales were above this price, half were below) is higher than previous years, and consistently one of the best in the domain aftermarket space.
Sales Price Breakdown
- 75 sales under $1500
- 318 sales between $1500 and $2000
- 404 sales between $2000 and 3000
- 109 sales between $3000 and $4000
- 51 sales between $4000 and $5000
- 43 sales between $5000 and $10000
- 17 sales over $10000
Of the 1017 domains sold, the bulk are in the $1500-$4000 range, which has proven to be a sweet spot for startups and entrepreneurs.
- 14.5% of sales were to repeat buyers
- 2.27% average discount on listed price
BrandBucket continues to have a loyal following of buyers who appreciate the do-it-yourself-branding idea, the selection of names, and the service team behind the scenes. The number of sales that closed with a discount was higher than previous years, mainly due to more transactions in the higher price range, and older inventory that had not had a price adjustment in many years.
- 238 unique sellers with a domain sale
- 134 sellers with 1 domain sale
- 37 sellers with 2 domain sales
- 15 sellers with 3 domain sales
- 51 sellers with 4+ domain sales
- $2,063,088 paid out to sellers in 2016
I sold 1 domain in 2016, and have 8 domains published there currently.