Google Wallet for Content
Google is rolling out an experiment to see if readers will pay for content. Using Google Wallet for digital goods, publishers can charge for some of their more proprietary or premium content.
How it works:
With Google Wallet, your customers can purchase premium digital content with a single
- Sell content from your web site. Embed the Google Wallet banner on a web page to
allow a user to buy it directly from your site.
- Give users a free sample before they buy. Google will rank your content based on what
you give for free.
- Users can buy with a single click.
- Instant refunds help users feel comfortable buying. If the user clicks "Instant
Refund" within 30 minutes you take the content back, and the charge is cancelled.
- Google monitors how much a user refunds to make sure they are only refunding content
they don't like, and not using refunds to get free content.
This payment flow is ideal for selling premium digital content that’s superior to the
free alternatives. If your content is higher-cost (over $1), or you don’t want to offer
instant refunds, we recommend using the digital goods games
Oxford Reference is one publisher trying out the product. Screenshot of what the reader will see below.
Find out more about the product here.